Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Just Like Riding a Bike....

Yesterday I started the adventure of teaching my youngest son (Landon) to ride his bike without training wheels. I was pumped as we got him all set up with his helmet and pads on the park grass. But what started as a Norman Rockwell "Dad Moment" quickly turned into a "How can I get my hands on some anti-depressants" moment.

Landon who is usually our resident dare devil was overcome with fear of falling off his bike. After a few trys and falls he had decided he didn't want to try any more. His mantra became I can't do it!" I tried every motivating statement, every bribe, EVERYTHING...... but he would not be moved. After an hour of "I can't".....I decided to pack it up again and try again tomorrow. Some lessons I walked away with:
  • I can't make my son succeed. I can only provide an environment where he can.
  • As a Dad I must model patience and love when my kids fail.
  • When I think about how many times I've told God "I can't" and He has met me in that place with patience and mercy. I'm incredibly grateful.

I'll keep you up to date with the bike lessons,

Nathan

Nathan

No comments:

Post a Comment